Housing Visions Unlimited and The Salvation Army has redeveloped a c. 1926 28,000-square-foot, four-story apartment building as a new women’s shelter. The building, abandoned after a fire for over 15 years, required total interior reconstruction, new windows, and a new roof. The brick and cast stone exterior has been restored to its original appearance. The project includes 15 emergency shelter beds, 16 transitional apartments, and support services. The shelter includes observation rooms and communal dining, living, and kitchen spaces for interaction. The upper three-floor apartment component provides a “next step” to being self-sufficient. Its location, in a high area of need, provides a safe place for women who would otherwise be homeless, coupled with support to help them re-establish their lives. In addition to architectural and interior design services, Holmes▪King▪Kallquist developed the National Register nomination for the property to allow the use of the Historic Preservation Tax Credit.
Photos ©Don Cochran Photography