E.B. Morgan House began life as a summer residence in 1859. Later converted to a guest residence for Well College, was restored to its original grandeur. Holmes▪King▪Kallquist & Associates has directed the restoration of the structure, including the stone masonry, roof, porches, and interior finishes. A careful study of the original masonry revealed that the original rough-cut stone was made to appear more finished by using a narrow white beaded joint, which was then replicated. Eight fine marble fireplaces, numerous parquet floors, and the diamond-cut, etched-glass skylight were restored. Period interiors, furnishings, and fixtures were specified by Aurora Interiors, L.L.C. The 1960s kitchen was replaced with a more compatible design based on the design of the original butler’s pantry. Fire safety improvements allowed the unsightly 1950s fire escape and fire doors to be removed. The historic inn is now one of three adaptive re-use properties operated by the Inns of Aurora.
Photos ©Don Cochran Photography
2006 Design Award
Merit Award – Historic Preservation
Central New York American
Institute of Architects